Friday, August 24, 2007

Did You Know?

Since January, it's illegal in the state of California to tether your dog to immobile objects. That means I'm a fugitive as I "park" Chocolate each time I step in to my favorite coffee shop to get my morning latte. Who knew?

Kicking Back...

The original intention of the law was to stop the practice of tethering animals outside homes on a seemingly permanent basis. This happens in some neighborhoods more than others.

The good news is that the law has discretion among the various city jurisdictions. I haven't seen any evidence in my town that a crackdown has happened or is about to happen. In Oakland, there have been issues, so City Councilwoman Jean Quan has a proposal in place to reach a more reasonable solution. That would be good and make sense for the state's responsible dog owners.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I had no idea. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It makes sense though. The animal is pretty much helpless on the end of a tether if someone wants to abuse him or her.

It brought to mind a story a few years ago where there was a guy in Los Gatos who left his dog tethered in front of a coffee shop on a Saturday and went inside with his wife. A teenager started taunting the dog, the guy came out to protect it and a scuffle ensued. The guy was charged with assaulting the teen. I wish I had an link to the article but the archive search feature on the San Jose Mercury News isn't what it could be.

-Bill in Mountain View