Monday, July 9, 2007

Lifetime Dog

I've mentioned before that I'm a big fan of Eileen Mitchell, who writes a column about her dog, Elvis, for the San Francisco Chronicle. She recently had an article that has had me thinking hard - "For dog lovers, there is only one 'lifetime dog'." It was followed up by a bunch of wonderful testimonials from readers about their own "lifetime" dogs.

It's a wonderful read, but you may start thinking about your own ranking of the dogs in your life, and for me, that's when things become much harder. I couldn't be as clear about who I loved more and why. Each dog that is a part of my life has brought something special to me. I wonder if this is how parents of multiple children feel?

Chocolate and Lily
Chocolate goes with me pretty much everywhere, whenever he can. Just as in the article, I get questions about his well being on the very few occasions he isn't with me when I'm out and about in the neighborhood. He's "my guy", "my buddy", and "my furry son." My life is very definitely enriched with him by my side, but then I start thinking about other dogs, and even the dogs of my friends, and I find that each one brings something special to my life.

Take Lily. She positively melts my heart with her Golden Retriever easy going, loving personality. When she's around, her serene Alpha stance calms Chocolate and makes him less "Terrier." Those of you with Terriers know what I'm talking about! She is graceful, trusting, and always a joy to deal with. Those of you with Retrievers know what I'm talking about! She is simply always a joy to be around.

Kody
Then there's Kody. He is sitting in my lap as I write this. I have never met such a cuddly dog. The month he'll be spending with me will provide me with more love and attention than I could hope for from any other being. He radiates affection.

One dog lives with me all the time, the other two I see on a regular basis. Each brings something special to our relationship, and I wouldn't trade any one experience for another. I'd like to think that this doesn't make me look like I love Chocolate less, but that my heart is big enough for more than one lifetime dog. In fact, within a lifetime, I believe I'll look back and cherish the time I've had with all of them, together and separately, and feel blessed that I had a special relationship with each one. Together they bring a lifetime of love, devotion, and experience that is deepened because I haven't limited my heart to just one.

If there are others that feel this way, I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to share your comments.

2 comments:

Nat said...

I can't help myself, I'm a terrier man. Blind obsessive fixation, independence, and a prey-drive that won't quit... that's what I like in my dogs.

Connie Weiss said...

I have to agree, there's something very special about terriers. My brother has had Cairn terriers for many years. "Charlie Brown" was his first Cairn, a total sweetheart and my first terrier love.