Saturday, July 14, 2007

When the Unspeakable Happens

Adam
In Northern California, two teenage girls set a kitten on fire. Adam is recovering, but tragedy abounds in this story. How do children find themselves in a situation like this? What thought process did they go through to make this seem ok to do? Did one bully the other? Were there any signs prior to this tragedy that would have alerted their parents, teachers, neighbors? At first, I feared that acts like this are the result of a culture of violence that many in the United States are concerned about. But when I ran a Google search of animal torture, four of the first six entries were about equally tragic stories outside the US. It's not something I can even pretend to be expert at, but I'd like to do whatever I could to help educate, rehabilitate, and help the world be a better place for all animal life.

No comments: