Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Depth of Love

If you haven't read Ben Rehder's My Turn article in the September 17th issue of Newsweek, this is one to savor. He writes one of the most touching love stories on his relationship with Esmerelda ("Ezzy") a pit bull that showed her enormous strength and tenacity only when she was frightened by the loud noises of fireworks and thunderstorms. Here are two fabulous quotes from the essay:

The killer instinct?

Well, no. Not this one, anyway. What she did do was annoy my visitors with her overaffectionate personality. She was stealthy about it, though. "Oh, pay no attention to me," she seemed to want to say. "Just continue with your conversation, and forget the fact that I'm creeping onto your lap. Just scratch my ears and everything will be OK."

and...

The next time, she was left inside during a thunderstorm. When I came home, an interior door was ripped in two. There were bite marks on the doorknob. It looked like a crime scene. I found the culprit shuddering in a closet. It was like the joke about the 800-pound gorilla—but with a twist. Where does a terrified pit bull go? Anywhere she wants.


I hope you enjoy this story as much as I did...

No comments: